BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Prayers for the Church Street Family
January 14, 2021
Rev. Dr. Jan Buxton Wade
Portal of Life, even before our birth, your gentle rapping was taking place upon the door of our hearts; and as time passed, that rapping came to us in the form of a nudge, a whisper, a vision of some presence beyond ourselves. And as your calling unfolded, we placed our souls in your care, trusting that yours was the authentic foundation on which to build our lives. You have never failed us, Living God, and we remain humbled by your constancy.
In the January stillness, the night sky speaks to us. What might lie behind that doorway to heaven, we wonder? We know there is energy there, and a life-giving force that ordained and sustains everything within that astonishing, celestial sphere. And even above that vast plain, stretching billions of miles, you are there, Shining One, concerned with even our fleeting thoughts and dreams. Yes, we are puzzled when we reflect upon the intricacies of your love; but we rejoice that we finally answered your knock and opened the door to our destiny.
We are only one speck in your grand universe, Sacred Designer, yet through your grace it was upon this earth that Jesus chose to dwell, showing us how to live as people of God. His life gave witness to your own unwavering love, while we have fomented dissension, disquiet, and distrust in recent days, especially in our own land. Have mercy upon us, we pray, and forgive our errant ways. Wipe away all our missteps, especially . . . . . . . . . . Clear our vision and unite us in your wisdom, that we might be among those who build a future free of arrogance and suspicion.
In your mercy, receive these silent prayers of our hearts . . . . . . . . . . and also these praises and concerns offered on behalf of our friends at Church Street:
- Prayers appreciated: A broken leg has mended well
- One in isolation is thankful for prayers
- Gratitude for prayers: New meds seem to be working well
- Thankful that vaccinations taking place at a nursing facility
- Insight and humility for our nation’s leaders, that they may look to God as their model in serving others
- For help to arrive: Sister overwhelmed with caregiving
- Prayers for successful heart surgery Friday
- Sustaining one enduring chemo side effects
- New employment for young mother
- Healing of one recuperating from heart surgery
- That vulnerable couple may obtain virus vaccines soon
- Healing prayers for wife and mother at Mayo’s
- For a peaceful transition of power in nation’s capitol
- Healing: Husband seriously ill with Covid
- Prayers for a good lab report for sister
- For insurance to approve a chemo drug
- All grieving the deaths of loved ones
- Friend: Healing of wounds from car wreck
- Prayers for ill granddaughter and another being tested for virus
As darkness covers the earth, may we take our ease, cradling our hearts in the great mystery of your love that binds every prayer in the cosmos together. Grant us, and all whom we cherish, a peaceful night, we pray; and tomorrow, with your help, we shall rise to love, to forgive, to show mercy, to make peace, and to share the good news of Christ, who opens the door to eternal life:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.