Weekly Prayers for the Church Street Family
Week of September 29, 2021
Written by Rev. Jan Buxton Wade
Most Holy Lord, you are that sure foundation on which we stand. Amid the apprehension and unpredictability of this present era, our lives would crumble if you had not planted us securely upon your rock that never fails. Your scriptures and hymns, inspired by your Spirit, speak the words our hearts long to hear. We stand grateful for loved ones who have buoyed us when our souls were ragged, for our church family which offers a place of belonging. We believers are so often separated by distance due to the deadly virus, but we are not separated from our firm faith in your saving love, our commitment to your church, and our trust in each other.
Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
The words you first spoke through your prophet Isaiah, “Fear not, for I am with you…” have reverberated through the ages, through many voices, giving us strength to carry on. Save us, we pray, from the hatred that blinds us and the fear that leaves us cringing and dismayed. We confess that we have been quick to judge, quick to criticize, quick to retaliate. By your omnipotent hand, make us brave enough to confront the forces of prejudice and anger within ourselves, then turn our warring chants into a doxology of hope. And in witnessing our assurance, may others absorb your holy peace and hope.
Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
Our lives are replete with personal stories of your saving deliverance, yet we know we are fragile mortals who require your healing and renewal. We cannot know the outcome of our prayers, but we trust that when we turn everything over to you, O Bedrock of our Faith, your grace shall be sufficient. So many across our globe are mired in misfortune and are awaiting your redemption. Comfort and carry all the afflicted in their hour of sorrow, we pray, and also attend to these concerns and joys that are uppermost in the hearts of your people of Church Street:
- Member thankful, recovering from shingles
- Member appreciates church support during his prolonged illness
- Family celebrates the birth of a baby girl on Monday
- Hospital workers who push through their weariness to bring healing
- Gratitude: tests revealed no evidence of a stroke
- Thankful for safe travel and family vacation this week
- Gratitude: A husband’s illness was quickly diagnosed
- Homebound member celebrates Rejoice! Ministry
- Recovery for cousin on ventilator at Parkwest
- Courage and healing for mother with breast cancer
- Please pray for all relatives recovering from Covid
- Prayers for patience: Surgery postponed for one awaiting aortic valve replacement
- Recovery for elderly member with shingles
- Continued prayers for ongoing progress of paralyzed grandson
- Member having breast biopsy on Monday
- Cousin and wife recovering from injuries in auto crash on Sunday
- Prayers for correct diagnosis for ill wife
- Upholding cherished husband nearing death and solace for his wife
- Healing for member, torn tendons in foot and ankle
- Healing mercies for young friend in early stages of ALS
- Two families whose loved ones have died of Covid
Knowing that you have heard and accepted our prayers, our souls take their rest in you, All-Faithful One. Steel us through your grace, that we may remain faithful to the end. And by your mercy, grant that we might grow in the resolve to serve only that once-rejected Cornerstone, our Savior, Christ Jesus, who taught us to pray:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.