Weekly Prayers for the Church Street Family
Week of January 18, 2023
Rev. Catherine Nance*
Today is January 18, 2023 and marks the beginning of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. This past Monday, I was honored to participate at Overcoming Believers Church in the Martin Luther King Commemorative Service. There were people from many different churches in the congregation and on the stage. I began today by having coffee with two colleagues – each from a different denomination. Then, I went to the Cathedral of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus and joined with clergy from Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Presbyterian, and Episcopal churches as we shared in leading the Service for Christian Unity with their students. It reminded me of our deep heritage and that we are all, indeed, one in Christ Jesus.
I invite you to share the prayer that is in our hymnal for Christian Unity this evening ….
Let us ask the Lord to strengthen in all Christians fiath in Christ, the Savior of the world.
Listen ro us, O Lord.
Let us ask the Lord to sustain and guide Christians with his gifts along the way to full unity.
Listen to us, O Lord.
Let us ask the Lord for the gift ofv unity and peace for the world.
Listen to us, O lord.
We ask you, O lord, for the gifts of your Spirit.
Enable us to penetrate the depth of the whole truth, and grant that we may share with others the goods you have put at our disposal. Teach us to overcome division. Send us your Spirit to lead to full unity your sons and daughters in full charity, in obedience to your will; through Christ our Lord. Amen.
We pray for …
- A granddaughter who had extensive surgery yesterday for spina bifida and scoliosis. Prayers for patience, endurance, and strength in the long recovery.
- A church member in hospital whose doctor is hoping to get medicines regulated
- A church member in the hospital with pneumonia
- Church members who are in rehab
- Our youth as they prepare to go to Resurrection in Pigeon Forge this weekend (and the adults!)
- A friend who is having a difficult time after death of father
- All who are grieving and planning funerals
- A niece who is looking for a job
- Church member having procedure this week
- Colleague having surgery this week
We offer prayers of thanksgiving for …
- A church member who has gone home from rehab
- The birth of a granddaughter
- For good friends who help
- New members who joined Sunday
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Have a Prayer Request?
*Prayer was written by Karol Wojtyla (Pope John Paul II), Poland, 20th century.