BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Prayers for the Church Street Family
September 15, 2020
Rev. Dr. Jan Buxton Wade
From your heavenly chamber, O God, you visit us in the sailing beauty of the clouds, in the soft sound of the falling leaf, in the crispness of morning air, in the river’s rinsing current, in the warm sun’s rising and setting as we spin through space. May we rest today in your Great Mystery, remembering that our time here is brief—barely long enough to craft a meager prayer of thanksgiving for your grace. But you hear even the muffled praises of our hearts, and we know you listen now . . . . . . . .
Lord of Life, hear our prayer
O Bearer of our Grief, this morning, with all humility, realizing your love for us, we bring before you our deep needs: for healing from our sicknesses and sorrows, for reconciliation with those we have harmed, for resolution within our battle-scarred nation, for peace to rule in our hearts. Especially give hope to those in mourning, who ache for voices now silent, who long for arms that can no longer embrace, who are picking up the pieces of dreams unfulfilled. Make a way for them and for each of us in our dry valleys and lead us to that place where your Loving Spirit will triumph.
Lord of Life, hear our prayer.
Attend also, we pray, to these personal joys and sincere requests offered from your children at Church Street UMC:
- Gratitude: a brain hematoma is shrinking- prayers greatly appreciated
- Thanksgiving: NICU baby’s lungs now clear, but please continue prayers
- One is grateful that her business has remained viable during pandemic
- Member thankful for one who has helped tremendously with home repairs
- A daughter expresses gratitude for church’s support of her dying mother
- One seeking a way forward following a major disappointment
- Wisdom for leaders making decisions concerning in-person worship
- Sudden death of a mother & grandmother, comfort for family & friends
- Daughters & families in WA, a son & family in CA – prayers for improvement of air quality – raging fires are making air quality poor, breathing is a struggle
- For wisdom for our nation’s leaders, for order to be restored
- Dear friend grieving the death of a father; she was his sole caregiver
- Friend having rectal surgery this week, for success & for healing
- Guidance for school personnel, for children & youth; for anxious parents
- Healing for friend in rehab following dangerous bicycle accident
- Comfort for family of sister-in-law who died on Friday in GA
- Sister dealing with a major leg infection, for healing
- Family of 9 quarantined due to virus infection, healing for one most ill
- Lifting of depression of mother living alone, longing for understanding
Despite our defeats and our difficulties, Renewing God, we believe you can still fill us with new purpose and that you can enliven us to be ambassadors of life abundant. In your mercy, breathe in us, that we might join in your song of hope, singing of the One whose love is unending, ageless, and eternal.
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.