BINDING SOUL AND SOURCE
Prayers for the Church Street Family
October 1, 2020
Rev. Dr. Jan Buxton Wade
Truest Friend, you are always true to us, but we are ever having to say we are sorry. You have been faithful to us, but we confess we have been unfaithful to ourselves and to one another. You have brought us from the depths of poverty, but we keep forgetting the poor. You have given us the precious gift of your overwhelmingly rich creation, but we have failed to cherish it and have even marred its goodness. In the midst of all your glory, our sin casts an eerie shadow. Save us from this swirling downward pattern, we pray, and forgive us, that we may learn to forgive each other. Heal us that we may heal others. Embed peace within the sinews of our hearts, that we might always share your holy peace with our brothers and sisters.
Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
We know you as the Hope of the World, for in your benevolence, you freely offered your own Son Jesus who told us of your hope for and your belief in us. His words are the holy soil within which our faith has taken root: “Abide in me and I in you; My peace I give to you; You will shine like the sun; Ask and it shall be given you; Seek and you will find; Knock and the door will be opened; Do not be afraid; I will give you rest; You are the light of the world; You are the salt of the earth; The truth will make you free; Watch and pray; I am with you always. . .” When we find ourselves in trouble or tribulation, these reflections of your confidence in us, offer the strength we need to carry on, in your Name.
Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.
Our requests of you must be wearying, but as you have affirmed your affection for us, we again share these particular situations to you this day. And may we not forget through the hours ahead to offer you our thanks and praise:
- Thankful for prayers: a son’s knee surgery was successful
- Praises: A friend’s home sold for cash & she’s happily resettled
- Appreciation for prayers: 3 family members now healed from virus & their homes received only light damage from hurricane
- Grateful for prayers: a mother’s infection is improving
- Gratitude: faithful witness of Christian friend throughout his prolonged struggle with kidney cancer
- Healing for a young daughter with virus, recovering at home
- Healing of young son & girlfriend, recovering from Covid-19
- Prayers for couple dealing with major damage to their property
- A grandson, pray that he might mature & make wise decisions
- Protection for young teacher: in isolation in Mexico City
- Daughter-in-law w/ aggressive cancer, strength for her treatment
- Protection for young daughter, traveling to OR for new job
- Member having cardiac MRI Thursday, that all may go smoothly
- Healing for troubled family, dealing with multiple health issues
- Strength & courage for husband, prime caregiver for his ill wife
- Healing mercies for a member recovering from knee surgery
- Pray for parents grieving the death of their infant son
- Prayers: cherished sister in hospice care in FLA; peace for family
- 2 mothers in TX w/ dementia, strength for caregiving families
Once forgiven, healed, fed, and clothed, we are offered the gift of sharing your ministry, as spelled out so plainly in the directives of the Master: “I am hungry, give me food; I am in prison, come to me; I am thirsty, give me drink; I am a stranger, welcome me; I am naked, clothe me; I am sick, visit me…”
Write your message of love upon our hearts, O Caring One, using letters big and bold, and send us out to tend those whom you have entrusted to us. Then when others read the stories of our lives, they might see a visible testament, your letter of love, addressed to all whom we meet:
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.