Weekly Prayers for the Church Street Family
Week of May 24, 2023
Rev. Andy Ferguson
Fire-giving God, on the day before long-ago Pentecost,
You looked down on all you had created:
–a universe beyond measure,
–a world of sustained beauty and productivity,
–creatures great and small.
You looked down on the followers of your Son:
–hiding for fear of their lives,
–hopeless in the face of the Cross and his crucifixion,
–trying to comprehend the news that the Savior Son again lives — resurrection!
In the days before Pentecost…
Most days, just now, it seems that we still live in the days before Pentecost,
As if your Spirit Fire did not fall to empower believers like us.
In countries across the globe, families still hide
for fear of war outside their doors.
–In Ukraine, Syria and sub-Saharan Africa death fills the air.
–Let them breathe freedom again at the falling of the Spirit’s Fire.
Families up and down Central America live in hopelessness today:
–Gangs of criminals make their lives a living hell,
–Corrupt governments look the other way in the face of injustice,
–Jobs in their home countries are impossible to find and keep.
We struggle to comprehend how lives are changed now that the Savior Son lives.
He was raised on long ago Easter, so why is life still fragile?
Why is chatter about the Resurrection reserved for graveyard ceremonies?
What does that long-ago Pentecost mean for this world? This time? This day?
Fire-giving God, as you sent tongues of fire to fall on disciples long ago,
Send fire again to fall on all who still believe.
Set us on fire for the Savior Son, Jesus the Christ,
That we might be part of building a world
Of such peace that the warriors will lay down their arms in awe.
That those who watch their children suffer will see a new day dawning.
Give us such an experience of the Spirit falling
That we too must run to tell what God has done,
That we might live in Pentecost hope as they did.
We pray in the name of Jesus, who sent the Spirit Fire after him. Amen.
We pray for ….
- Third graders who are having a difficult time this week; prayers for parents. Please God, help our teachers not feel judged.
- A niece who has been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Bless her in her work (chaplain with hospice patients) as she deals with her own struggles.
- Caregivers who feel torn in so many directions; prayers of thanksgiving for those who understand.
- A safe delivery of baby boy
- God’s peace while waiting on medical procedures and results
- A member waiting on diagnosis in hospital; prayers for doctors as they find the right protocol
- A dear friend who is battling so many demons; pray that he will listen to God’s Voice.
- Families going through all of the transitions of graduation and moving up and leaving home
- Safe travels for a son who is moving today; grateful for supportive and loving parents to help!
- A member in hospice care and her husband who cares for her; strength for both.
- A family friend who has been in hospital for ten days; praying that the surgery yesterday to remove MRSA infection is successful and will bring healing.
We continue to pray for …
- The precious child at Children’s Hospital who has had ups and downs since his tracheotomy. Prayers for weary parents. Lord, in your mercy, provide tangible signs of hope and healing.
- A member recovering after surgery
- Clarity from doctors and patience while we wait for a medical answers and direction
- A young wife as she and family prepare for funeral of husband this weekend
We offer prayers of thanksgiving for …..
- Summer vacation! Please let everyone have a good summer!
- Our church family
- The joy a new baby brings
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Have a Prayer Request?
Submit your prayer request confidentially by clicking here.